- 1/3 cup unsalted butter , melted
- 3/4 cup whole milk
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 1/4 cups flour
- 1/2 cup dark cocoa powder , divided
- 2 1/4 teaspoons baking powder
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 1/2 cups light brown sugar , packed
- 1 1/2 cups hot water
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
Spread melted butter over a 9×13 baking pan.
In a large bowl whisk together the milk, vanilla and sugar until mostly dissolved.
Add in the flour, 1/4 cup cocoa powder, baking powder, and salt, then whisk until just combined and no dry streaks remain.
Spoon batter over the butter, being careful to not mix the butter in.
Mix remaining 1/4 cup cocoa powder with brown sugar and sprinkle over batter.
Gently pour the water over the batter and sugar.
Bake for 30-35 minutes until the top is dry.